Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Okra?

I have always avoided okra. The description just never sounded appealing--crunchy on the outside but slimy on the inside? No thanks. This summer, my opinion completely changed. We received 9 okras (okri?) from the CSA and I asked what the best way is to prepare them. I knew I could deep fry them, but was looking for a healthier way to cook them. Another CSA member told me he likes them sauted with tomatoes. I decided to take his advice.



Without pictures, here's what I did:

1) Slice the okra into thick coins.

2) Mince garlic (for 9 okra I used 2 cloves of garlic).

3) Heat some olive oil in a large pan.

4) Add the garlic and okra, saute for 5 minutes.

5) While the okra and garlic are cooking, chop up some tomatoes. I used one yellow and one orange from the CSA.

6) Add the tomatoes, stir and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.



It was delicious! The tomatoes were perfect and the okra was crunchy. I didn't notice too much slime, maybe because I had mixed the tomatoes in. Either way, I am no longer afraid of okra and will look forward to next year when it's back in season (good thing I froze some this year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment