Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Climbing Back on the Wagon

When I started this blog it was to chronicle my training experience for an Olympic triathlon. I had completely 2 sprint tris before that and went on to do one more after.

Iron Girl 2007

NJ State Tri 2008


Capital of Texas Olympic Tri 2009

NJ State Tri 2009

Just over a year ago, which was 3 weeks after the last tri, I went to Yellowstone National Park on a work trip and hurt my foot hiking. I laid off of running for about a month, thinking that some cross-training and resting would do the trick, but it didn't help. After many doctor visits, sessions of physical therapy and an MRI, my doctor figured out that I had a hidden fracture in my foot and I'd have to wear a walking boot for 6 weeks. 6 weeks became 8 weeks and I was finally rid of the boot at the beginning of March.

I know it's been almost 6 months, but I have had an incredibly hard time motivating to get back to the gym. Truthfully, I really miss running. I've done a few 3-4 mile runs here and there, but my foot still gets sore and I don't want to push it before our wedding. I feel lazy and that is just not me. I don't know where all of my motivation went, but I want it back! I am making a conscious effort to climb back on the wagon now. I am going to stop saying, I'll do it tomorrow. I am going to run, little by little, I am going to build back up until my foot is okay. I hate injury recovery, but I know it's necessary.

My goal is to run the Arlington Memorial 5K on September 11. In 2006, this would not have seemed like a big deal to me. A 5K was an easy recovery run but after being sidelined for the past year, a 5K sounds a bit daunting to me. I've missed racing so much, I can't wait to get out there. Hopefully this won't backfire and I'll start being able to race again and I can start writing more about the sport I love so much. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment