Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Books or Kindle?

I try not to fall for all of the cool electronic toys that are on the market. I like the days where I forget my cell phone at home and contrary to belief, I do not always answer my phone. I like the convenience of always being plugged in, but sometimes I do like to unplug and not have access to the internet.

I've always been a reader. I love books. I hope that someday I live in a house with a room with floor to ceiling bookshelves, covered in books, like my grandparents' house. I even have some of my grandfather's books from those shelves, just waiting for the perfect place to live. Somehow, I don't think that the temporary IKEA bookshelf that they currently sit on in the basement will cut it.

One of the benefits of having about 45 minutes to an hour commute twice a day is that I get to do a lot of reading. One of the downsides is that, depending on the book, it might take up a lot of space in my bag and be a lot of extra weight to carry. This is where the technology question above comes in to play. The Amazon Kindle.

Apparently, the Kindle can hold up to 1,500 books, so your library is at your fingertips at all times. It's lightweight. The screen is not backlit so it's like reading a book and not a computer screen, but what I can't wrap my head around yet is settling into before I fall asleep with a Kindle instead of with a book. That just seems off to me. Plus, I get a lot of books from the library (I LOVE the library, the smell of the books, the atmosphere, I just love libraries), so they're free now, why should I start paying to download books?

I don't know, I do buy some books but I don't know that I buy enough to make the Kindle worth it just yet. It seems like it would be the perfect device for me, but I think I'll stick to books for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment