Monday, February 8, 2010

We're Converts

This title sounds a lot more serious than it actually is :-) A few weeks ago, Jeromy bought us a french press to make coffee and quite honestly, it's the best way we've ever had coffee--it beats drip coffeemakers by leaps and bounds. The trick is to add a pinch of salt to the ground coffee before adding the water and you will end up with a perfect cup. I'm drooling just thinking about tomorrow's cup of coffee (because we have another snow day tomorrow. I'm beginning to forget what my office looks like!).



I've also converted the way that I eat oatmeal. I love me some oatmeal, it sticks to the ribs and keeps me full all day long, or at least until after noon. Years ago I stopped eating the packets of oatmeal because of all of the added sugar and processed foods that I just didn't want to eat. So I started buying plain old oatmeal, preparing it plain and then adding toppings so I could control what I was eating. I was over on Danielle's blog, beltwaytobay.com and saw an entry about overnight oats. I was intrigued. So I looked around the internets a little further and found a recipe. Oats? I like oats. Greek yogurt? Delicious. Milk? I love milk. Little brown sugar? Great. Mix it all together, let it sit overnight in the fridge and you have overnight oats! Add whatever you want to it, it's like a blank canvas. Here is the recipe I use, found at keepitsimplefoods.com (serves 2):

1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 cup Greek yogurt (I use fat free)
generous dash of brown sugar

Mix it all together, leave it overnight in the fridge and the next day you have a delicious and nutritious breakfast. So far I've tried the following combos:

leftover cranberry compote
grape-nuts
sliced almonds

blueberry muesli

bananas
flaxseed
Trader Joe's superfruit spread
Trader Joe's natural peanut butter
The third combination was my favorite!

Because of my boot I haven't been able to do my normal grocery shopping runs to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Safeway (I'm crazy, I know, but I like what I like!). I've been sticking only to Safeway since it's the closest to the house and they did not have Greek yogurt last week :-( After being snowed in for 3 days, I made my way to Giant today and was able to get a big tub of Greek yogurt. I'm very much looking forward to more overnight oats tomorrow. Thanks, Danielle, for introducing me to my new favorite breakfast!

We're hunkering down for another major storm in our neighborhood. I don't know when, but apparently we moved to Maine....

I'll post some pictures of the snow in the next couple of days along with all of the knitting projects I've been working on.

Lisa :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment