Tuesday, December 9, 2008

First Swim Training--Done!

Tonight was the first swim training and it was great! I met several of my teammates and I think it is going to be a really fun season. And, lap swimming is apparently just like riding a bike and I was leading my lane after a few minutes. So there will be a coach-led swim training every Tuesday night and then I will need to swim on my own on Thursdays and Sundays. This is going to cut in to my after work drinks, but it is definitely worth it! One of the team captains took pictures tonight so I will post them if I can.

On another note, some of you know that earlier this year I worked on a fundraiser for the Histiocytosis Association, an organization dedicated to eradicating Histiocytosis--an incredibly rare disease that affects 1 in 200,000 children in the United States. Today we found out that one of the little boys that has this disease in the area has relapsed and will need to begin chemotherapy again. While histio is not a cancer, it is treated as a cancer with chemotherapy. I hope that the research that is being funded by the Society will not only help patients battling blood cancers but will also lead to a cure for histio and other rare diseases. Please keep this little boy in your thoughts and prayers as he enters his third round of battle with histio--he is only 3 years old.

This Saturday I am heading to Suburban Hospital in Bethesda for a triathlon 101 clinic and a 30-40 minute group run followed by coffee at Starbucks with the Team. Stay tuned for more updates....thank you for checking on my progress!!

No comments:

Post a Comment